Ok, so I’m unashamedly putting it out there, I am a little bit obsessed with Oprah! Have been for some years now and hate to say it but one of my biggest regrets was not seeing her at Federation Square when she visited Melbourne in 2011, as I was working that day. This love affair started with the episode that featured her closet, or should I say ‘clothing wing’.
I’m no fashionista so wouldn’t say it was the clothing itself that inspired me, nor her incredible shoe collection. It was undoubtedly the visual feast of organisation.
In my teens, I loved doing a closet makeover for my friends (geek alert!). This would involve a ruthless clothing stocktake, replacement of any wire hangers with the plastic variety (all the budget could allow in those days), finished with the re-arrangement of clothing into the ROYGBIV rainbow spectrum.
My current closet can only be described as a cupboard. Yes, my clothes are arranged in ROYGBIV and I have upgraded to Ikea wooden hangers but I dream of at least a room, even a small one.
So what would my dream closet include?
- Shoe Shelving. Height allowing for easy selection with space below for taller boots. Feature lighting would be an added bonus!
This gorgeous space belongs to Nate Berkus.
2. Compartments for Accessories. Belts able to be stored neatly and jewellery, bags and scarves easy to find.
3. An ottoman covered in a plush fabric adds a functional ‘perch’ and a touch of glamour to the closet.
4. Expanse of Hanging Space. Clothing can hang neatly in ROYGBIV and be easily found.
5. Wooden Hangers (of course!)
Are you lucky enough to have a closet room? What would your dream closet include?